Saturday, November 8, 2008

If You Give a Kid a Pancake


My kids love pancakes. Honestly, who doesn't love something when it is smothered with butter and drizzled with maple syrup? Like many families, we eat them often on the weekends, and I am always surprised to learn that many people do not make pancakes from scratch. I'm not sure why they don't. Perhaps it is because that they are so used to making it from Bisquick that they haven't really ever thought about making them themselves. But homemade pancakes taste better, are healthier (mixes often contain trans-fat), and more economical than those out of a box, and are really so easy to do. Once you try it, you may never go back.

This recipe, passed down from my maternal grandmother, has no added fat (except for what is in the milk and egg). I like to make "dollar" sized pancakes. Using a large griddle I put over two burners, I can make 8 pancakes at a time, using my 1/3 cup measure to dollop on the batter. I also only buy "Grade B" pure maple syrup. Not only is it cheaper than "Grade A," but it is darker and more flavorful as well. The grading system has nothing at all to do with the quality of the syrup, rather the depth of color and flavor.

I double this recipe when I make it for our family.

Nana's Pancakes

1 C flour
2 t baking powder
2 T sugar
1 t salt
1 egg
1 C milk (or buttermilk)

In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add egg and milk and whisk to combine. Heat griddle over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray and add dollops of batter evenly spaced when griddle is hot. Cook for about 1 minute per side or until cooked through. Remove to plate and cover with foil until all batter is used up.

Sometimes I use milk, or buttermilk, or a combination of the two, really whatever I have on hand. I have tried it with nonfat, low fat and whole milk and they all work just fine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually that is your maternal great grandmother's recipe..Edna Mae Michener Kirkland!! Since she didn't enjoy a reputation of being a great cook, she would be pleased to know her Pancake recipe has been enjoyed by four generations! Love, Mom

Alison said...

Ah...good to know. Shows you how up on family history I am. I do recall that you mentioned that my great grandmother was a rather uninspired cook. I'm glad to see we've risen above, yet still can appreciate her basic recipes! :)