Monday, July 6, 2009

Red, White and Blue Potato Salad


Let me just preface this post by mentioning that my mother makes a fabulous potato salad, as did my grandmother (it's her recipe she uses). It is creamy and chock full of yummy goodness like celery, onions, and chopped boiled eggs. But it is very, very time consuming to make, and kind of stinks up the fridge (sorry mom...). So we usually only enjoy that treat at her house. The only version I ever make, I found a couple of years ago in Everyday Food. It's nice because it only has a few ingredients, and while it tastes like a double stuffed potato, it is fairly "light" as far as potato salads go because it calls for light mayo and sour cream. That said, if you prefer a full-fat version, please feel free. I've tried it both ways and honestly couldn't taste the difference. Also, because this salad is basically just potatoes, make sure you use the best small new potatoes you can find (the kind that actually taste like something). The other night, I actually substituted a portion of the sour cream with creme fraiche (we ran out of sour cream) and it was wonderful...flexibility and creativity are always good when cooking.

Potato Salad
serves 6

2 pounds small new potatoes (red, white and blue if you so choose)
3/4 C light sour cream
1/4 C light mayonnaise
salt and pepper
5 scallions, sliced
4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled

Halve or quarter potatoes (depending on how large they are) and boil in salted water for approximately 15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. While still hot, toss with sour cream, mayo and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until cold. Before serving gently stir in scallions and then top with crumbled bacon. Taste for seasonings and serve.

4 comments:

Helen McGinn said...

This sounds like a lovely version...where on earth..? was my first thought about the blue potatoes but I'm guessing you dye them? It looks wonderful. I was given a tip recently regarding potato salad which I decided to try and boy oh boy, did it work! The tip was to roast the potatoes in their skins first, then use for the salad. Mmmm. Love your blog!
x

Alison said...

Thanks Helen! And thanks for your tip on roasting potatoes for salad. I'll have to give that a go sometime. :)

Regarding blue potatoes, believe it or not, you can find blue (purple) potatoes in some markets (and farmers' markets). They are so dark their skins almost look black, but when you cut them open, they are a lovely deep purple. And I'm sure you've seen red skinned potatoes...

All the best,
Alison

Anonymous said...

Well, I had to laugh as I made potato salad yesterday and took up a big bowl full to Nana's board and care.......my house did smell like eggs.........but it was worth it. Your sister stole,(by invitation), the left overs today :)

Unknown said...

You should try it with blue cheese crumbles. It's my new fav!