Saturday, December 6, 2008

Lovely Lemon Drop Martini


It's no secret that I love a good cocktail, and I am quite certain that they have helped me survive the rigors of motherhood. In fact, one of my very favorite books on parenting is called The Three Martini Playdate. There are so many good nuggets of advice such as: If [your children] are six or seven and capable of pouring liquid into a container the size of a cocktail shaker, then set them to a practical task such as mixing simple gin and tonics or pouring a Scotch, neat or on the rocks. And another favorite quote: If a child should wake, very late, to find you and your friends out under the cabana swilling cocktails and smoking tobacco, do not be alarmed, or deterred from having an adult evening. While I'm quite sure that most of the book was written tongue-in-cheek, there is no denying that a good cocktail can be a delicious way to enhance adult social gatherings.

One of my favorite cocktails is the Lemon Drop Martini. A little sweet (but not overly so), a little sour, and a little sassy, this cocktail is a lot like me! Made from Limoncello, which is an Italian lemon liquor (that I am actually going to make and blog about later this weekend), vodka and fresh lemon juice, this beverage tastes remarkably like lemonade, which makes it quite dangerous indeed.

Lemon Drop Martini
serves 2

Into a cocktail shaker filled with ice pour 4 shots vodka, 3 shots Limoncello, and the juice of one lemon. Rub a lemon half along the rim of 2 martini glasses and dip in a plate of sugar. Shake cocktail shaker vigorously for about 15 seconds. Pour out into glasses and serve, with a twist of lemon peel, if desired.

2 comments:

Carin said...

OK...so let me just say that associating you and lemon drops makes me think of the night of my Dad's funeral. You and your Mom and Matt were so gracious to me through an unbearable time. I'll never forget what a wonderful friend you've been to me!!!

Love you (and all associated with you), Carin

Alison said...

Thanks Carin! You are a wonderful friend to have...and I am so glad that this crazy world of technology has helped us to reconnect after so many years! :)