Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Dip for the Desperate


I think I have been stalling a bit on posting today, mostly because this is my one-hundredth post and I was hoping that I would have something wonderful and insightful to share. But alas, I do not. I am amazed that I am 100 posts into my blog, as it seems like a bit of a milestone to me. Incidentally, the children just celebrated a milestone of their own; the 100th day at school, with Zero the Hero racing around in costume to delight the younger grades. I'd like Zero the Hero to come and help me write this post, or better yet, I'd like him to race around my kitchen scouring the sink and cooking dinner. Hmmm.....

Unfortunately for me, I think Zero is otherwise occupied and since I'm faced with another night of shuttling the children to this and that, I think rotisserie chicken is in order. I'm actually a huge fan spit roasted anything, and some of the best turkey I have ever eaten was cooked on the rotisserie at my sister-in-law's house. Rotisserie chicken has kind of become a stand-by in American kitchens for good reason; it is convenient and delicious and can be turned into any manner of delicious meals in minutes.

I like to shred up the rotisserie chicken meat and use it in soup, enchiladas, salads, or pot pies, but the best, most simple way to serve it, is to carve it up, and dip it in the most glorious sauce of fragrant ginger and sharp green scallions. This easy to make, yet vibrant sauce has become a fall back meal for me both when I am in a hurry and when I am needing something soothing and comforting (ginger aids in digestion, after all). My husband calls it the salt lick, because it is kind of salty, but it is meant to be a condiment; a little goes a long way. Serve it with rice and a salad, and you have the perfect meal. Of course, I have eaten it standing up at the counter, literally picking the chicken carcass clean and it was still the perfect meal. It is that good.

Ginger Scallion Dipping Sauce

1 thumb of ginger, grated
2 scallions, slivered
1 t salt
2 T vegetable oil

Stir all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Serve over rotisserie chicken with rice.

No comments: