Wednesday, September 2, 2009

At Market...Summer Squash


Hello my friends! It's been awhile, I know. But I've been busy at work. Real work, with real money. And it's all good. But how my blogger friends manage their real work, and continue to update their for-fun blogs is beyond me. I definitely need more practice with that. Which is why I'm here today.

My next two months are crunch time, and I'll be cooking all manner of holiday foods (for my real work). Right now, though it's nearly 100 degrees outside (and snowing ash--but that's another story) I've got gingerbread granola in my oven and peppermint ice cream in my churner. I've also got a Filet Mignon roast in my fridge for dinner, and will be ordering a 12 pound turkey later this week. If I can get through these next two months without gaining 20 pounds it will be a minor miracle. And, I told my husband that he'd better enjoy all this now, because come December, I might be so over cooking that we end up eating fast food on Christmas.

Today, I have a quick recipe that's awesome because not only does it find use for all that beautiful summer squash at the markets, it uses leftover chicken if you have it, or a rotisserie chicken if you don't. And it calls for only the white meat so you can use the rest in a casserole (or enchiladas like I did). But the best part of all, is that it doesn't require much cooking so it doesn't heat up that kitchen.


Summer Squash and Chicken Salad over Spinach
serves 2

2 cooked chicken breasts halves
4 summer squash (I used 2 crook neck, 1 pattypan, and 1 zucchini)
1 bag of baby spinach
5 slices of red onion
1/2 C cubed fontina cheese (or other mild, soft cheese..smoked gouda would be nice)
1/4 C olive oil
juice from one lemon
finely slivered fresh mint and basil

Slice 4 summer squashes lengthwise, into 1/4 inch strips. Toss with olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper and set aside. Remove the breasts from a cooked chicken and slice across the grain. Set aside.

Meanwhile, heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the squash and all the juice and saute for about 5 minutes, or until crisp tender. Remove from heat.

Lay baby spinach leaves on a large platter. Top with the squash first, then rings of red onion, sliced chicken breast, and cheese. Sprinkle over mint and basil and a drizzle more of olive oil and lemon juice, if desired. Grind some fresh pepper on top and serve.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This looks delicious! I'm happy to hear you get to cook for your real job too! Are you writing the local food column, or did you get another gig?

Liz Dodder

Alison said...

Liz, I am doing recipe development for a certain website which shall remain nameless until contracts are signed. LOL! I will be able to link to my recipes once they are up on that site so stay tuned...

Tara said...

I was going to say ... did I miss something about you having a real job? But is that really a 'real' job when you get to make all that yummy food! OMG, don't work too hard (wink wink).