Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Happy Campers (and a recipe link too)


Okay, so we weren't camping, technically. And we weren't really roughing it either, though the rooms lacked phones and televisions (thank god!). What we were doing was getting out of here...out of the relentless heat, smoke and other unpleasant facts of life in "autumnal" Southern California. I needed some fall in the worst way--some cool temperatures, some changing leaves, some fresh, clean air. So Saturday evening, after a long day of soccer, we drove north to my dad's house, our route illuminated by a spectacular harvest moon.



Sunday morning, we headed out to Yosemite's western entrance, to the Evergreen Lodge, which I highly recommend, by the way. It was cold when we arrived...so we got some hot cocoa. Other guests we spoke with had tried to drive into the valley, but turned around when they met with a hail storm. Wimps. We pressed forward to the park...and instead of hail, we had snow...the first snowfall of the season. Who would want to miss out on that?


And, as I'm sure you know, where there is snow there are snowballs...and where there are snowballs, there are big brothers who throw them at you...and hit you smack on the back.





We had such a nice time and I'll post more pictures of our trip a bit later, but I did want to mention that my work for Disney's Family.com is slowly appearing on their site...but there are no photos yet. Please feel free to try, rate and comment on the recipes posted here. And I will try to have a recipe posted on my blog, just for you...soon.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Yay for "camping". Yay for family. Yay for snow in the fall. (you made me smile at the thought of Yosemite) And hot cocoa too! And hooray for your posts on Disney. So proud of you.

Ann Mah said...

Snow, so early! And I'm still hoping for a warm fall -- my tomato plants JUST started blooming (freaks).

Sounds like a wonderful trip and can't wait to try some your recipes from family.com! Congrats!