Saturday, January 3, 2009

Warming Thai Curry Noodles


My belly hurts...well actually all of me hurts. I didn't sleep well last night because every time I rolled over, I was in pain. I went to my first yoga class yesterday at the newly christened YogaWorks and it would be safe to say that I have really let my very consistent yoga practice slide over the month of December. It feels as if I have been punched in the ribs, and the back, and my shoulders evidently contain muscles that I have never noticed until now. But this is all for the best, right...for my health or something? My husband suggested that if something that is supposed good for me puts me out of commission for two days straight, perhaps it is not so good...

I did finally manage to make a dinner after reclining (painfully) near the fire all afternoon. It was a warming Thai noodle dish, with chicken, coconut milk, and red curry, perfect for a cold winter's night. The recipe is adapted from a book that I bought on Cape Cod this summer at Nantucket Wild Gourmet and Smokehouse. It is called Quick and Easy Thai by Nancie McDermott, and every recipe I have tried has been both quick and easy and delicious as well.

Chiang Mai Curry Noodles
Chicken with Red Curry

2 T vegetable oil
1 T finely chopped garlic
2 T red curry paste (I found it at World Market, but they also have it at Whole Foods and Bristol Farms or Asian markets)
3/4 pound boneless chicken, cut in big chunks
2 C unsweetened coconut milk (I used light)
1 3/4 C chicken broth
2 t turmeric or curry powder
2 T dark soy sauce
1 t sugar
1 t salt
2 T freshly squeezed lime juice

1 pound Chinese-style egg noodles, angel hair pasta or spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
Chinese rice style noodles (the very thin kind) (for garnish)
chopped fresh cilantro
chopped green onion
slices of jalapeno

Heat oil and saute garlic for one minute. Add curry paste and saute for two minutes more. Add chicken and stir until coated with paste and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add coconut milk, chicken broth, turmeric, soy sauce, sugar and salt and stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a brisk simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until cooked through. Stir in lime juice then ladle over hot, cooked noodles. Garnish with cilantro, green onion and jalapeno slices.

To fry rice noodles for garnish simply heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a heavy sauce pan. Carefully drop in noodles and stand back because the oil will spatter a bit. Separate noodles with a fork and watch them rise up. When they are puffy and lightly toasted, remove from pan and drain on paper towels.

No comments: