Saturday, September 25, 2010

An Apple Day


It was too hot to pick apples...too hot to do anything really. But we went anyway. And despite the heat, and the dust, and the crowds...and despite the fact that I nearly fainted from the elements (and scared the crap out of the kids with my tears...er, of joy), we had a terrific time!

Really.

And the best thing of all is that I have about 50 pounds of apples (and pears!) to do something with next week. (Yes I still have to roast all those chiles). And we have one and a half gallons of freshly squeezed cider. Did you know that it takes about 100 apples to make one gallon of cider? I didn't either. Well, maybe I used to, but I forgot. But it sure explains why apple cider is so, so good.

We picked a half bushel of Glen Seedlings, and another half bushel of Red Fujis, Galas, Astrachan, and Pears. The Glen Seedlings are for applesauce and pies...the rest are for snacking. It was almost a perfect day. It would have been if it was about 40 degrees cooler. Ah well, you can't have everything I guess, but I do have apples. Yes, I do!














After we got home, we threw some sausages on the grill and I whipped up a spicy and tart apple salsa to go with. Because I really can't get enough chiles. Ever. And it was pretty perfect too.

Do you go apple picking in the fall?




Apple Jalapeno Salsa


This salsa is an explosion of bright flavors. It's crisp and tart, sweet and sour and has a little kick from the jalapeno peppers too. Serve it over grilled sausages or chicken breasts, or even with chips.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Yield: about 1 cup

Ingredients

1 medium tart, green apple, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded if desired and diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons light olive oil
pinch of salt
2 pinches of raw sugar

Preparation:

1. Mix apple, jalapeno, bell pepper, green onion and cilantro in a medium bowl.

2. Add the lime juice, vinegar, oil, salt and sugar and toss to combine. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately, or refrigerate and use within one day.

3 comments:

Jessi said...

My apple picking day was a little too toasty as well...I may have to turn my pumpkin picking trip into pumpkin/apple.

I love having fresh apples for pie...your salsa is such a great idea. I'll have to try that.

Alison said...

Thanks, Jessi. Let me know how it goes.

The pumpkins were ripe at the farm too...but we were just too beat to try to walk up the hill to get them. lol!

Cape Cod Judy said...

What wonderful photos!

They brought me back to my childhood when my grandpa and uncles would travel from Rhode Island (with the aunts and cousins of course)to our home in Massachusetts for an apple crushing, cider-making day using a press just like the one in your photos. The bees, the good smells, that refreshing glass of delectable cider at the end, and of course the apple pies to complete the cookout at the end of the day (we never called it barbeque), what happy memories......