Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Early Risers


Those who know me well know that I am not an early riser. During the school year, mornings come painfully early and the only thing that gets me out of bed most days is the mug of coffee my husband hands me. Summer is my bliss...I'm allowed to sleep in much of the time (if I'm lucky enough to sleep through the early birds who start chirping at sunrise), and everyone is so much better off because of it. Trust me.

But the world needs early risers--like these radishes, always the among the first things to be harvested out of the garden. Coupled with other eager beavers, snap peas and mint, they make for a cool and crisp early summer salad--and as a bonus, flaunt their preppy colors proudly.


How is your garden coming along? Our beans are getting high, there are blossoms on our squash, tomato and cucumber plants...but no fruit yet....

Snap Pea and Radish Salad with Goat Cheese

Sweet peas, spicy radishes and creamy goat cheese meld in a bright salad that makes use of your early summer harvest.

Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Yield: serves 4

Ingredients:

1 pound sugar snap peas, de-stringed and cut in half if large
1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
Zest and juice from one lemon
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 ounces of goat cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon fresh mint, thinly sliced
sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper

Preparation:

1. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Blanch the peas in boiling water for 1 minute, drain and plunge immediately in the prepared ice bath. Set aside.

2. Whisk lemon juice and olive oil in a small bowl. Toss peas, radishes, scallions, lemon zest, goat cheese and mint in a medium bowl.

3. Drizzle with dressing and add salt and pepper to taste. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Looks delicious -- I can just feel the crunch between my teeth. As an aspirational gardener, I love reading about your planting adventures!

Deanna said...

Our tomato seedlings, planted around Mother's Day, are going nuts! They are loaded with tomatoes and falling over from the weight. I've never seen such fast-growing tomatoes before! I'm in awe, but nothing makes me happier!