Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Figgy Piggy Pizza


I'm just popping in to say hi. This week is a crazy one as we are wrapping up our lives here in California and preparing to make our annual summer trek eastward. No, we are not driving again...that was a one-time deal. But there is still a heck of a lot of preparation involved. Whew.

So I'm spending my week packing and going to each and every play, recital, choir show, meeting, team party, class party that I can, all the while trying to get my house (and pantry) ready for my sister's arrival. She has graciously agreed to take care of this place (and my doggy) while we are gone, and I don't want her to find out how big a slob I actually am.

Things are going fairly well, except for that I think that each and every one of my heirloom tomato plants is suffering from early blight. Does this mean the end for them? Does anyone know what to do about this? Help! I guess I just need to add this to the list of things to do....

I will say, that despite the craziness of that last few weeks, I have managed to get dinner on the table occasionally, and we have all taken comfort in our Friday ritual--pizza. Last week, I was invited as a fundraiser to teach a group of moms how to prepare six different kinds of gourmet pizzas. We had a blast (and quite honestly I can't believe I pulled it off). This fig and goat cheese pie was one of the recipes I shared with them, and it's one of my absolute favorites. The sweetness of the fig jam is a perfect foil to the tartness of the goat cheese, the sharp bite of the arugula and the saltiness of the prosciutto. I love it also, because it's a complete meal...pizza and salad in one!

It was the last pizza I baked for them, and everyone was stuffed...but there's always room for one more slice, yes?




Fig Pizza with Goat Cheese, Prosciutto and Arugula

Printable Recipe

This is one of our favorite grown-up pizzas. The creamy goat cheese, spicy arugula and salty prosciutto pair perfectly with the sweet fig jam.

Prep time: 15 minutes

Total time: 30 minutes

Yield: serves 3-4

Ingredients:

1 pound of fresh pizza dough

1 (8.5 ounce) jar of Dalmatia Fig Spread (found at Whole Foods) or other similar product

1 (5 ounce) log of goat cheese

1 (7 ounce) ball of mozzarella, sliced

1 (3 ounce) package of sliced prosciutto

1/2 (5 ounce) bag of arugula

Olive oil, for drizzling

Preparation:

1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees one hour before you plan to bake the pizza if you have a pizza stone (which should be on the bottom rack of the oven). If you don't have a pizza stone, just heat it right before you bake the pizza.

2. Carefully stretch or roll the dough into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface. If the dough seems tight, let it rest for 5 minutes, then try stretching it again. Cover with a clean cloth and set aside for 10 minutes.

3. If you're cooking the pizza on a pan, lightly flour it and place dough in the pan at this time. If you are using a pizza peel, lightly flour the peel and set the dough on top of it now.

4. Spread the contents of the jar of fig spread evenly over the dough, leaving a one-inch border. Crumble the goat cheese over the spread. Place the slices of mozzarella evenly over the fig spread and goat cheese.

5. If using a peel, carefully shake the pizza back and forth over the peel to make sure it will easily slide into the oven. If it seems stuck, carefully lift the edge in a few places and blow some flour under it. Carefully shake it again. It should slide easily. If not, repeat with the flour. Slide the pizza into the oven directly on top of the stone. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the crust is crisp and blistered. (If you're using a pan, just place the pan on top of the pizza stone).

6. Meanwhile, as the pizza bakes, toss the arugula with a couple of splashes of olive oil. Remove the pizza from the oven, top with prosciutto slices and arugula, slice into 8 slices and serve immediately.

No comments: