Thursday, March 26, 2009

Fast Food


Dear Baseball,

I've got just two words for you. Meatball. Sub. That's right, you cannot foil my dinner plans tonight because this dinner is quick. This dinner is easy. This dinner is portable. Better luck next time. And believe me, I'm all too aware there is a next time...but you'd better watch your back, I'm on to you!

Signed,
Mom

Now friends, I hope you don't think I'm the kind of girl who always bakes the loaf of bread, rolls and fries the meatballs, and grinds the tomatoes (home grown obviously) for sauce. Yes, there is a time and place for that. But that time is not tonight. Not when there is someplace to be, and very little time to get there.

These nights call for quick and decisive action, a dip into the freezer, and a pluck from the pantry. Though all these store bought goodies may not actually be that much healthier than a trip through the drive through--well, okay, they probably are--at least I feel like I have provided my kids with a relatively well balanced meal, and had mercy on my picky oldest son, who has eaten only fruit for dinner for the past three nights. They are hot, hearty, and filling. The dinner of champions. Baseball champions.









Meatball Subs
serves 6

1 package of 6 French rolls
1 jar of your favorite marinara (I like organic tomato basil from Trader Joe's)
1, 1 pound package of frozen meatballs, defrosted (I like the turkey or meatless meatballs from Trader Joe's)
1 package of pre-sliced Provolone cheese

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Slice the rolls lengthwise across the top. Place in the oven, on a cookie sheet to warm up for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, put meatballs and half of the jar of marinara in a large bowl with a lid. Microwave for 5 minutes or until heated through. Remove rolls from the oven and spread open. Place 2 slices of cheese inside and return to the oven for 5 minutes more, or until the cheese is melted. Remove from oven and place as many meatballs as will fit inside the roll (about 4). Serve immediately, or wrap in foil and pack to take along. Bring napkins. Lots of napkins.

No comments: