Friday, March 6, 2009

Something Soothing to Sip


Some days are more difficult than others, like the days I wake up feeling like I have been run over by a truck. The days when I cannot breathe through my nose and there is a tickle, not the silly, giggly kind, but the harsh, unrelenting kind, in the back of my throat. And the days where my neck is so stiff it hurts to turn my head and my skull is so full and throbbing I decide to take a shower with the lights off...just to try to calm it. Unfortunately that day is today.

But I will begin to feel better just as soon as I drink a cup of hot, gingery lemonade (and my motrin and sudafed kicks in). It is simple to make, which is good because my addled brain cannot handle anything too complicated today. Sweetened with a bit of honey, infused with ginger juice and brightened with lemon, this drink will be help me on my way. Just because mothers don't get a sick day, doesn't mean we shouldn't pause, even for a moment, to do something nice for ourselves (and that applies whether we are ill or not).


Hot Ginger Lemonade

Squeeze the juice from one half of a lemon into a large mug. Grate about 1 T of ginger onto a cheesecloth square (or some paper toweling or a thin dishcloth). Wrap it up and squeeze the juice out of it, right into the mug. Pour in a healthy amount of honey (to taste)...at least a tablespoonful. Fill mug to the top with boiling water. Sip slowly, inhaling the fragrant steam to help loosen congested lungs. Repeat as necessary.

No comments: