Thursday, April 23, 2009

Death by Chocolate Brownies


I don't have much to say today, nor do I have much time to say it. But I do want to quickly mention one thing; if you are having one of those days--you know, the extra long and tiring days full of substitute teaching and changing peed-on pants (not mine by the way) and picking up dog poop and washing last night's dishes and folding MONDAY's laundry and mopping floors and shuttling the 'gang' from school to piano lessons to open house to a baseball game--yes, one of those days, then you really need to do something for yourself and sit down for a moment with one of these brownies. It will nourish you and make you whole, I promise. At the very least, it will give you enough energy to push through 'til the end of your day, where nothing but your cozy bed requires your presence.


The recipe is so simple and only requires one bowl, provided that bowl is microwaveable. When pierced with a fork-because you will need a fork to eat these-the crust shatters pleasingly to reveal a fudgey soft-set center that is sinfully rich and so decadent that you really should just eat a small one, or risk a serious belly ache. And don't forget the tall glass of icy cold milk.



Death by Chocolate Brownies

1 1/2 C good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cube of butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 C sugar
4 extra large eggs
1 t pure vanilla extract
3/4 C flour
1/2 t salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8-inch square baking pan. Place chocolate chips and butter into a large microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute, remove and whisk until chocolate is completely melted. When mixture is room temperature (it may be already), whisk in sugar and then eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and mix well. Carefully fold in flour and salt until just combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until soft set. A toothpick will not come out clean, and the brownie may still jiggle a bit. Let cool (yeah right) and serve with vanilla ice cream.


Brownies on Foodista

8 comments:

Brenda Campbell said...

This just made my day!! I would love a whole pan of Death By Chocolate Brownies... I have everything in the house to make it, so I think I will! Thanks for the recipe!

Alison said...

You go girl! ;)

Maris said...

These look AMAZING. I really hope I don't have the ingredients for these because I'll wind up eating half the pan and that isn't good for anyone :)

Alison said...

A little chocolate therapy never hurt anyone...

Dimah said...

Those are simply adorable!

Alisa@Foodista.com said...

Aahh...so this is what I've been missing!Hope you wont mind but I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

Alison said...

Thanks Alisa! I appreciate the add. :)

Unknown said...

Gosh, these look soooo delish. I want them, but I'm on a diet :(
Anyways just wanted to say love your blog.