Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Lovely Lunch


Why is it that so many people use canned chicken to make chicken salad sandwiches? I guess it must really be a convenience issue, because the flavor comparatively, well, actually there really isn't a comparison. Canned chicken tastes almost identical to canned tuna in my opinion--wet, mushy and a bit stringy. In fact, last weekend when I was at a tea party, I had to ask the hostess if I was eating a chicken or tuna sandwich because I really couldn't tell. I like my chicken to taste like chicken and my tuna fish to taste like tuna, which is exactly why I prefer them both fresh.

Last night we had a rotisserie chicken for dinner, and had plenty left over for lunch today. Stripped from the bone, cubed and tossed in a quickly made curry dressing, along with scallions, apples and peanuts, it was an easy enough undertaking, with scrumptious results. I topped the sandwiches with some watercress for a fresh and earthy flavor, but any lettuce would do. A scoop of this would also work well on top of a bed of salad greens, or even stuffed into a pita. Admittedly, this chicken salad is a bit rambunctious and tends to spill out the sides of the bread, but I enjoy its chunky texture and the contrasting crunch of the apples and peanuts with the smooth and mildly spicy dressing.


Curried Chicken Salad

In a large bowl mix together 1/2 C mayo, 1 t curry powder, 2 T white wine and a squeeze of lemon juice. Fold in 1 chopped apple, 2 sliced scallions, 1/4 C chopped salted peanuts, and 1/2 a roasted chicken that has been removed from the bone and cubed. Taste for seasonings and add salt and pepper if necessary. Makes 3-4 sandwiches.

2 comments:

Baba Judy said...

Now, wait until you get back on Cape Cod and can pick up some Fig Jam from the Chatham Jam and Jelly Shop. Spread it on some wonderful whole grain bread (and yes, I can buy La Brea Bakery's here!!!) with some mixed baby lettuces, a slice or two of cored and peeled Granny Smith apple and some chunks of that leftover cold rotisserie chicken and you have another luncheon treat equally as good!

Alison said...

We can't wait!!! :)