Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Whole Chicken...Part 2


In terms of my health, my illness has migrated from the depths of my belly, into my chest and head. A whopper this time. But I guess I should be thankful that this is only the second time this year that I have been ill. It's not too bad, really, but it does make me want to lay about a bit more than usual. Which isn't great in terms of getting things done, like laundry or vacuuming. Or cooking for that matter. But I still have all that leftover chicken, so at least there is some comfort in that.

In my next life, I think I want to be a cat. My cat does absolutely nothing that doesn't please her, and most of the time is laying sprawled out belly up, legs splayed, in a strip of sunlight on our bed. Occasionally she meows and headbutts in that demanding catty way, and she certainly finds her food bowl, as evidenced by burgeoning waistline (do cats even have a waistline?). She loves to bat things about when the mood suits her, especially the boys' Nerf darts and occasionally the dog, and she loves bacon and will come running, or trotting at least, when she smells its aroma wafting down the hall. Yes, I think it would be wonderful to be a cat...at least one in my house.



But alas, I am a mom instead, and have important tasks to take care of, like dinner. Luckily, since I cooked a whole chicken last night and have half of it left over, I don't have to do much in the way of cooking tonight. It could be a somber meal, one of impending poverty and gloom, because today my husband is doing our taxes....sigh. But he will appreciate the thriftiness of it hopefully, and be heartened by what a clever wife he has. Right. Like I said, I'd rather be a cat. I don't think they worry much about taxes.

Anyway, when I finally got around to making dinner, I decided on a simple chicken salad, to use up not only the leftover chicken, but some produce from the farmers' market that needed to be eaten. I couldn't taste much because I am so congested. In fact, when I pulled out the Gorgonzola from the bag I couldn't even smell it-which is a bit disconcerting-but the salad was a nice combination of cream and crunch, and Matt said it tasted good too. I wish I could say the same. We do have some left over, so I may try it again tomorrow. This salad would also make for a lovely lunch, or be good between two slices of toasted wheat bread.



Dilled Gorgonzola Chicken Salad

Mix 1/3 C mayonnaise with 2 T dry white wine, 1/4 C crumbled Gorgonzola, 1 T minced shallot, and 1 T minced fresh dill. Whisk well and add salt and pepper to taste. Toss with 2 chopped celery stalks, 5 chopped Easter radishes, and 1/2 a chopped cooked chicken. Scoop chicken mixture over some mixed baby lettuces and top with sliced avocado and more chopped dill. Serve immediately.

No comments: