Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookie Monster


When it comes to chocolate chip cookies I'm more of a cookie dough person. But when I do eat them, I think they are best when they are thick and fluffy, and a wee bit doughy in the middle. I have tried so many different ways to make them, always striving for my imagined ideal. I have used butter (melted and soft), crisco (gag), white sugar, brown sugar, changed the quantity of eggs and flour, and added ground oats, all in my quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie.

I finally think that I have come upon the one. Here is my recipe for thick, soft chocolate chip cookies. They smell heavenly when they are baking, and the dough tastes great too (although I should advise you against eating it due to the fact that it contains raw eggs and there is risk for salmonella...that being said, I always am willing to take that risk). It uses only brown sugar, which has a higher moisture content than white sugar, and helps the cookies stay soft. The recipe only makes a dozen or so, but that is better for me because then I don't eat as many! It can, of course, be doubled, which I did this afternoon, because I have the entire neighborhood playing in my yard.

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 stick softened butter
3/4 C brown sugar
1 large egg
1 t vanilla
1 1/4 C flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400°.

Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix well. Sift in flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Place tablespoon-sized dollops of cookie dough on cookie sheet a few inches apart and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Place cookies on cooling rack.









No comments: