Friday, November 21, 2008

Love in a Cup


Bleary eyed, I stagger into the kitchen much later than I should on a typical morning. I am NOT a morning person...never have been. My husband and children know this about me and try their best to ease me into my day, or else face dire consequences. As a result, I have two older children who set their alarms and know how to make their own toast for breakfast, and a husband who understands that a major priority is to make coffee, and quick!

Since springing into action is not my idea of a good time, I usually pad around, half asleep, with brush in one hand and coffee in the other, trying my best to help my children at least look half presentable. Sandwiches made, hair combed, teeth brushed, backpacks packed, hugs and kisses at the door...then peace at last.

I sit down to enjoy my splendid cup of Joe and the morning paper. Subtly spiced in the colder months with cinnamon, cloves and black pepper, and always topped with steamed milk, this will surely get me going....eventually.

Winter Spiced Coffee

1 T (organic, free trade, shade grown) coffee beans per cup of coffee (we usually make 7-8)
2 whole cloves
1/2 cinnamon stick, broken up
4 peppercorns
milk

Grind all of the ingredients in a coffee grinder until finely ground. Brew according to coffee pot manufacturer's directions. At the very least, if you are adding milk, heat it up. Even better is to buy a little milk frother from William's Sonoma and froth warm milk before adding it to the coffee. It tastes better and fresher than anything you can pay for at a local coffee house. And costs a heap less too!

No comments: