Wednesday, November 26, 2008

New England Rum Pie


This delicious cheesecake says holiday to me. It has been served at just about every holiday meal since I can remember. I'm not sure who started making it...I think it was my grandmother, or where the recipe originated, but it is such a rich, simple and elegant dessert. I have vivid memories of my sister, my dad and I literally fighting over the last slice of leftover pie, screaming and chasing each other around the kitchen with our forks raised in battle. And now my children love this cheesecake, and it has become a staple on my holiday tables as well.

Because it is not baked in the traditional spring form pan, it cooks quickly. It has just a few choice ingredients for a ton of flavor, and the splash of rum certainly adds a special touch. It almost tastes like eggnog and I think that if you added a 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg to the filling, it would taste like eggnog cheesecake and be a perfect addition to your Christmas dessert line-up.

New England Rum Pie

crust:

1 C graham cracker crumbs
2 T sugar
dash cinnamon

filling:

12 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 oz rum

topping:

1 C sour cream
2 T sugar
1 T sherry

Preheat oven to 350°.

Mix together the melted butter, crumbs and cinnamon. Press into standard pie plate.

Mix cream cheese, sugar, eggs and rum until as smooth and as thick as cream. Pour into prepared pie plate and bake for 20-30 minutes or until set (will still jiggle).

Meanwhile stir together sour cream, sugar and sherry. Pour over pie and return to oven and bake 5 minutes longer. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This recipe did come from your Grandmother! Your Grandparents belonged to a "Folk Dance" group; they had three squares,or twelve couples,and a hired caller. They got together once a month, rotating houses. The hostess provided the main dish, and she had two co-hostess that brought appetizers, side dishes and desert.

All the men were psychiatrists, but one, and he was an architect. His wife, Ginny, was very artistic and they had two cute sons and had a beautiful home on Tunnel Road in Berkeley. Ginny, was the one that introduced this wonderful cheesecake to the folk group.

I bet we are not the only family that has passed on this wonderful recipe!

Alison said...

Thanks...I was hoping you would share where this recipe came from! I don't think that I ever had heard about that.