Wednesday, November 12, 2008

New Kid on the Block


Our not-so-little suburb has finally come of age as we just got a beautiful, upscale market of our very own. Bristol Farms finally opened it's doors this morning at 7 a.m. after much anticipation, and much to our surprise (we had heard it would be opening in January). When we arrived at 11:30, it was jam-packed full of eager shoppers and lookie-loos checking out the scene. Shopping carts bumped together like gridlock on so many Southern California freeways, jostling for a spot near the sample tables. Cheerful employees dressed in red-checked shirts, handed out delicious treats for all to try, a perfect lunch, we thought. We sampled Rocky Whole Rotisserie Chickens, many different kinds of cheeses, fresh sushi and potstickers, pizza (on a French pastry crust), Aidell's Sausage, pumpkin cream cheese piped onto graham crackers, orange juice, cocktail mixers and more.

Their fresh fish and meat counters were beautifully stocked and the meat all came from California ranches, including their lamb, which in other markets is almost exclusively imported from New Zealand. There are real butchers in employ who can do really crazy things (like grind meat or butterfly chickens) that those other guys at the regular market can't do, ma'am. I ordered a fresh, local, free-range turkey for Thanksgiving today to be picked up two days before Thanksgiving so that I can salt-cure it (an alternative to brining).

Their produce looked good, and was labeled with point of origin so that those of us who are concerned about buying our produce from local growers can do so. Their cheese counter was plentifully stocked (the cheese guy even promised to order my very favorite Leyden Cheese, which is a Dutch cheese spiked with cumin seeds) and the wine selection was amazing for our valley, which has always been quite limited. But the buyers' demand will dictate what they carry in the future; I'm sure that not many will be able to afford the $850 bottles of Chateau Lafite-Rothschild, for example.

We waddled out into the warm sunshine with only a one pound loaf of caramel apple bread, seaweed salad, and spicy tuna rolls for additional lunch fare. I had marketed earlier in the week so I didn't need much. But I will be back, and soon, I am quite sure.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cheese Cheese the more you eat....oh wait, that's beans. OMG I can't wait to go to BF. Love your Blogs my lovely Sis. You amaze me. XOXO

Alison said...

Ha ha ha....probably is true for cheese too. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to go. I might have to torture my 8 yr old while his sister is at a playdate (Friday) and check it out.